Monday, July 21, 2008

developing story

http://www.creditunionruse.com/
http://www.taxfoundation.org/press/show/216.html
http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/217.html

I have been wanting to leave key bank for years now and never cut the cord. Suffice to say I have gotten somewhere in the neghborhood of 50 overdrafts in the course of 5 years. Its my fault. I suck. BUT key bank sucks for not giving me overdraft protection. So there.

My master plan included getting a nice mom and pop credit union like my sister has. They would only hit me up for one overdraft when something like this comes along
BALANCE = -1
sandwhich 6$ at subway/ticket to movies 11$ at loews theatre/29.99 for cable bill from comcast
BALANCE = -47.99

if I was under 0 when these things cleared I would be in the hole 3x 33.00 + 47 = 146.00 for a very short 50$ loan.

2 comments:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

We had a big bank like that once! We have a mom and pop bank now and have for about 11 years. We never looked back. I can call our banker and she'll refund two of three. We have overdraft protection. Somehow we never get it paid down. We owe like $400 out of $500. We only NSF a few times a year, but when we do we do it BIG. It pays to know your banker and try not to bounce anything (yeah right). And overdraft protection does help, a lot!

Good luck! I can't believe you had a hard time getting overdraft protection. :)

Smile!
~Heather

tessa said...

I'm trying to phase out my Key Bank account too, I think we talked about it. My dad came to visit yesterday and brought two checks that were sent to me in Maine, and now I'm thinking--should I send them back to Key with "for deposit only" written on the back or what? I have a BOM account, but I am trying to keep my work account and my personal account separate. If I only have access to my work account, what does THAT mean?