Wednesday, May 16, 2007

so you thought you "knew" the KLF did you?



This is pointed at younger 20 somethings who grew up at the burgeoning edge of mainstream electronic music and remix culture.
After casually looking up the wiki article on these ancients of Mu Mu there seems to be more than meets the eye about a seemingly innocuous pop/hiphop/electronic act. The video made such an impression on me at such a young age that here I am at 26 looking them up on wikipedia.org. I was 12 years old (in 1992) and thinking to myself I like this. I really liked the KLF and their 3AM eternal music video.

KLF IS GONNA ROCK YOU. UH HuH UH HuH.

After immersing myself in the dystopic visions of orwell, huxely, bradbury and others and reading the illuminati trilogy the KLF have taken on an entirely new dimension. I have a newfound respect for Bill Drummond and Jim Cauty.

KLF is gonna rock ya 'cos you
have to
move to the flow of the P.D. blaster
bass ballistics
I'm gonna kick this hard
and you can catch it
down with the crew crew
talking 'bout the Mu Mu
Justified Ancient Liberation Zulu
Got to teach and everything you learn
will point to the fact that time is eternal
-refrain-
Sample city through Trancentral
basic face kick elemental
swings brings new technology
the 'K' the 'L' the 'F' and the ology
Da Force coming down with mayhem
looking at my watch time 3 A.M.
got to see that everywhere I turn
will point to the fact that time is eternal
-refrain-


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klf

It was New Year's Day ... 1987. I was at home with my parents, I was going for a walk in the morning, it was, like, bright blue sky, and I thought "I'm going to make a hip-hop record. Who can I make a hip-hop record with?". I wasn't brave enough to go and do it myself, 'cause, although I can play the guitar, and I can knock out a few things on the piano, I knew nothing, personally, about the technology. And, I thought, I knew [Jimmy], I knew he was a like spirit, we share similar tastes and backgrounds in music and things. So I phoned him up that day and said "Let's form a band called The Justified Ancients of Mu-Mu". And he knew exactly, to coin a phrase, "where I was coming from". And within a week we had recorded our first single which was called "All You Need Is Love".[11

No comments: