Thursday, May 29, 2008

Je me souviens! Mutek review Day 1


Mutek 2008 is shaping up to be another memorable music/social experiment. I made it to the first Nocturne Heart and Soul from Cali warmed up the crowd with a tight little performance with live vocals. Underground resistance came next with a live performance featuring INTERSTELLAR FUGITIVES (mad mike banks and dj skurge + a guy playing live drums on multiple mpc2000's+ another person playing keyboard and effects). They were definitely heartfelt and there was a nostalgic streak that made me like it more than the actual music moved me. Other people who weren't into UR were left with a bad taste in their mouths and told me as much when I went out for a smoke break.

Next up was Seth Troxler (beretta) http://ghostly.com/artists/seth-troxler from circus company played a really nice emotive, quirky, deep, tech set. I really got into this and danced hard at times to his set. There were a few girls freaking out to it and it made me very happy to see girls losing it to something so quirky. Yay! I met a bunch of nice people and reconnected with some vancouver people.

Now I have to run to check out some of the panel discusions before they are all over!

note:

According to historian Jacques Rouillard, the reference to the British heritage refers to an admiration for the British parliamentary system, and would be supported by some of the symbolism found at the Parliament Building. Nonetheless, the theory of Taché's anti-British sentiment persists, and over time the slogan has taken a nationalist tint. It is taken by many to mean "I remember my French history and heritage" or, even, "I remember what the English did to the French"

No comments: