Tuesday, July 24, 2007

large land sales in the state of maine


I was curious how much it would cost to buy a large swathe of wilderness in Maine and came across this list of land sales created by the Natural Resources Council of Maine. Generally 200$ an acre for pristine forests seems pretty cheap. I pay about 200$ a month for shit I can't even remember I bought... I think I would rather buy pristine forest land with all that dough I am wasting. It seems more impressive you know? 1 square mile = 640 acres = 128,000$. I bet I could have bought a square mile of land by now with all the money I've wasted on the detritus of my personal belongings over the years. Who needs to buy clothes when you can trap beavers and martens on your own land and clothe yourself!?

The Players
---------------
Irving Oil
Sappi
Bowater
Plum Creek
Fraser
International Paper
Roxanne Quimby (who the hell is Roxanne Quimby?!)
MeadWestvaco Corp.
New England Forestry Foundation
Great Northern Paper, Inc.
Hancock Timber Resources Group
Georgia Pacific Corp

http://www.nrcm.org/land_sales.asp

1,000,000 = 1562 sq miles
Maine covers 35,387 square miles, making it the 39th largest of the 50 states. 30,000 sq miles are land and 5,000 are water.

No comments: