Wednesday, March 26, 2008

arrawarra beach





I did some snorkeling today while Dan fished and caught some 11 inch Bream and Rebecca pranced around pretending to be a horse! Rebecca and Ben are just precious I might add. Above is embedded a picture of arrawarra at low tide. I was just off the rocks and coral in a sanctuary. Snorkeling isnt anything ive done alot of thus far in my life and in the northeast usa it can be quite boring and cold. Not so here, very warm, lots of interesting fish and assorted sea and plant life. Puffer fish, stingrays, angelfish, assorted tropical fish, leatherback sea turtles, bonito, bream, each wave that went over my head revealed new creatures hiiding in the seaweed below. Seeing the sea turtle scared me a bit at first as I was not expecting to see one at all and it was literally 3 feet from my nose as it swam out from behind a seaweed frond. After snorkeling I joined Dan in fishing with a hand reel. My first cast I lost my fish intestine bait... second cast I nabbed a tiny octopus. I thought I was snagged on something it fought so hard! Once I got it out of the water it started emptying its guts of water and spraying it right in my face. Little bastard. He got away... he must have known I am fond of him barbecued.

Had some decent thai food at reasonable prices at a spot in coffs harbour today called Thai Inthanon. Had thai lamb, octopus, and tom yum soup.

3 comments:

altirie said...

I was just talking to Jess about snorkeling today. Mariah wants me to go to Tortola with her in April. Her BFF has lived there for 2 years. I noted that the only thing that interests me about the islands would be snorkeling. We even discussed the boring views of the frigid north Atlantic. I liked your description of the baby octopus you caught.
p.s. I've been reading your blogs all along, i just haven't commented in a while because i forgot my login and psswd.
xoxo

altirie said...

Sounds amazing! xoxo

Heather's Moving Castle said...

My sister and I like comparing our snorkeling experiences. I have only snorkeled in Aruba 8 years ago on my 2nd honeymoon. Cliff and I went at least 3 times. It was one of the most awesome time of my life! I often think of what it would be like to live under water (if I were a sea creature).

Thanks for sharing your experience! I can't wait to go snorkeling again one day.