Saturday, March 29, 2008

isp shaping in australia

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,22393874-5013037,00.html

I certainly don't like this practice when it is happening to me. Of course I am 7497 miles from silicon valley and other giant us aggregators. Singapore must be the closest aggregation spot outside of Sydney. i have no idea. 30$ a month gets you 500MB of browsing ... sounds ridiculous right! It sure does to me. For 40$ a month you get 2gb/2gb up and down. 64.95 gets you 10gb/15gb. I haven't paid much attention to my monthly download amounts in years and when i did pay attention it was to the amount of time not to the amount of bytes. Just when I thought I had run out of australian things to compare they go and shape the internet connection right while i'm using it...effectively dropping the connection speed from 512k/sec to 64k.

other australianisms

shaping = practice of limiting internet connections to dial up speeds after a customer has reached his or her monthly download limit
cooler = esky (esky is also a brand like coleman is a brand of cooler in the us)
food = tucker

1 comment:

stholl said...

get your tucker in the esky and go walkabout!
Glad your isp is shaping up? no down..ouch.
Love you,
Mom